• The Boss is coming! Look busy!
  • List of bloggers going for the 29th July 2006 Bloggers Meet at KLCC
  • Tuesday, March 14, 2006

    Leng Mou's Art of Overcoming Fear of Ghosts

    I've just wasted the past week of my life reading ghost stories. And I have to say that I've learn a thing or 2 about scaring people. Now Boss Lepton isn't a person who would normally get scared just by reading ghost stories. I have to say one of my hobby is to watch horror movies.

    Part of my thoughts on horror movies:
    I don't find movies like Exorcist and Sixth Sense or even some classic horror movie like The Shining very scary. Not to the point where I am scared to sleep at night. So the bottomline is

    WESTERN HORROR MOVIES ARE NOT SCARY

    Does this scare you???





    There!! to all you Hollywood director-wannabe, next time you wanna shoot a horror film, send the script to me 1st and make sure I get really scared after reading it. Niama, now compare it to 1 of my favourite horror movie of all time. I'm pretty sure most of you have watched



    Yes Ju-On. How scary is it you ask? Well it does get your heart beating quite often. I'm not gonna post a short clip on youtube here coz it might just scare you. I've heard friends told me that when they(guys n girls) decided to d oa movie night and watch ju-on, they were literally hugging onto each other(ahhh....... guys and girls hugging together..........). Oh btw, an interesting survey shows that generally guys are more afraid than girls on this genre, it's true I tell you, ask yourself deep inside.

    Anyway back to the topic, why do I feel that western horror movies are not scary and the asian versions are much much more scary?

    The answer is simply easy.

    Western movies do this



    That is western horror movies make the "ghost" in the movie tangible. You can see it and if *touch wood* you ever come across it you can know it's there or not. You can avoid it.

    But Ju-on.........



    HuAH!!!

    Another habit of Boss Lepton is that I enjoy watching horror movies like this ALONE in the middle of the night, preferably with lights off and the clock shows 3 a.m. BTW, I really watched Ju-on that way ;)

    My point is, asian horror movies implies that ghosts can exist everywhere. It's not like some vampire chasing after you, have sex with you then suck your blood dry. The thing I love about ju-on and other horror movies similar to this is that they ALWAYS relate it to your everyday life. Like sleeping........... showering.......... taking a piss..........

    Boss Lepton's tip for scarycats

    Boss Lepton wasn't always like this, up until form 1 I was a real scarycat. I used to have 4 to 5 pillows and 1-2 bolsters so that I can fill up the space on my bed. Let me illustrate this:

    Notes:

    • stick your back on the wall, so u are sure nobody's sleeping behind where you can't see.
    • the pillows and bolsters are there to serve as your defense, if anything happens USE THEM to whack around.
    • Alternatively you could sleep staring at the ceiling so you can see what's going on around your room, assuming that you WANT to see if anything's happening so u can act accordingly.

    Well since it's always portrayed that "they" like to visit when a person's asleep, this is 1 of the defense techniques I can remember I had.

    If for any reasons you hear something that you shouldn't be hearing, like somebody using the toilet when you're sure that you're alone at home........ then........... please get yourself 1 of these

    And blast the music through your head. My personal favourite would be "Dui Ni Ai Bu Wan" by Aaron Kwok. Oh yes, I can do those dance moves, you can too!!!

    So the bottom line is if you heard "something", and that "something" hasn't bothered you yet, just ignore it. Dance, Sing, anything that would make you not hear it would do fine :D

    What changed my life was this end of the year trip to FRIM. Yea for those of you who don't know this place, it's the Forest Research Institute of Malaysia situated in Kepong. I was attending this course by the Nature Education Centre(NEC) in FRIM, I don't really know if it still exists today but it was a really cool trip. There's this event where we were brought inside the jungle, and 1 by 1 they left us alonefor around 15 minutes, telling us to listen to the various sounds that the jungle made.

    Of course if you're a sane person(and a scarycat) like Boss Stewie and me, your senses are going to be clouded by the "those" thoughts. Scary isn't it? Well I don't know what struck me but at that time I was really gonna piss in my pants. I thought if I met this thing I was gonna die, and surely all the horror movies portrayed that.

    So, I told myself this

    If a ghost comes and kills me, I'm gonna be a ghost and let's fight it out in the other world, you #^%#$%^#@%@# man-killer!~~~!!!!!!!

    So that's it, my ultimate weapon that keeps me brave up until now. Trust me everytime I walk alone in a dark alley or a peopleless area at night, or even driving my car back in Malaysia alone, I keep telling myself this same thing. Weird isn't it?

    p.s. of coz if you are religious and keep chanting I'm sure it helps calm you down too.

    p.p.s. more on the ghost stories I read on my next post :D

    22 Comments:

    • hahahaha i like this post.. especially the pillow thing so cute

      leng boss
      9-7
      but u still owe me duck.. HAH

      and u didn't even rate soo many of myy posts.. so you owe me quite a few lengs!

      By Blogger Boss Stewie, at March 15, 2006 2:20 AM  

    • not scary wan ah ju on!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 15, 2006 2:20 AM  

    • leng la, i guess i have to admit i lose liao la

      knnccb - you should know what this means right?

      By Blogger Wilson J Q Quah, at March 15, 2006 2:49 AM  

    • LENG!!!

      Hahaha, imagine me reading the ghost stories.

      Every once in a while there is 1 or 2 really scary stories that makes me start to shiver, that's when I take a break and run into my neighbour's room

      If you could read chinese I could forward you the link with all those stories, I must warn you 1st though those stories are REAL stories written by those forumers(btw they are all malaysian so almost all the stories occur in malaysia)

      By Blogger Wilson J Q Quah, at March 15, 2006 4:11 AM  

    • leng
      4 pillows? rofl u wanna invite the ghosts to sleep with u?

      hahahaha

      By Blogger William, at March 15, 2006 7:40 AM  

    • hey post the link for the ghost stories!

      watch "the phone" (korean) its freaking scary also!

      the weird thing is when listening to or watching ghost stories, my heart keeps shuddering but the feeling makes me feel as though having ecstasy, and i like it... lol.

      By Blogger Gooman, at March 15, 2006 7:42 AM  

    • ohhhh
      nono ghost stories not for me

      By Blogger Boss Stewie, at March 15, 2006 7:49 AM  

    • leng.

      eh, stewie won the duck liao? cheyyyy, so easy he wins ade...

      i wanna read those stories too, bet it's interesting somor in M'sia, tot it only happens in SG. hiak hiak. But i cant read chinese, got translation page one anot?

      By Blogger Smurfette, at March 15, 2006 9:55 AM  

    • leng!
      hahaha.
      actually im already bored with korean and japanese movie. one way to actually identify that one horror movie is a korean one. is through "the"...The this, The that. hehehe.

      entry is good. something different.

      By Blogger Cheng Sim, at March 15, 2006 10:16 AM  

    • The Ring.
      Damn those Japanese.

      I used to be big TV buff before there's Internet so The Ring served me right.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 15, 2006 12:27 PM  

    • Korean horror movies rock! Western horror movies are so not scary that...they make people laugh =P

      By Blogger cheesecakeerian, at March 15, 2006 12:47 PM  

    • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      By Blogger chocolat-latte', at March 15, 2006 1:25 PM  

    • gooman : I have The Phone ringtone!!! Exactly like how in the movies! hahaha. freakin' scary piece of shit..

      Boss Lepton : I have crazy imagination. You see, at times I hate having the radio on or something cause my mind will tell me, what if music suddenly switched to some really old music or into someone's conversation in a creepy voice.. hmmm.. then my window, i always think someone is standing out there lookin into my room and might even wanna slam on my window.. SO, what do you reckon? heh. =)

      By Blogger chocolat-latte', at March 15, 2006 1:27 PM  

    • Oh, come on. Not all American horror movies are bad...

      Take "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" for example...
      Well, it's... umm... ahmm... errr... Okay, they're bad.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 15, 2006 3:37 PM  

    • I'm just too scared to watch anything scary...>_<

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 15, 2006 5:35 PM  

    • lance: everyone i know who watched Exorcism of Emily Rose didn't sleep for a few days... especially after "3am"

      By Blogger Boss Stewie, at March 15, 2006 6:24 PM  

    • audrey: at this point if u think somebody is standing there, they might really be standing there. So maybe it's time u go visit some monk or some temple n ask ler. sometimes it's better to be a little superstitious i think.

      kakakakaka!!!!
      well if u know that they are not there to get you then play along la, not all ghosts are that bad

      By Blogger Wilson J Q Quah, at March 15, 2006 7:43 PM  

    • exorcism of emily rose ar.......

      Somehow i still dunno la it's not your everyday ghost u know.

      The stories that I've read so far are kinda scary because they actually make u think that "hey, it really can happen wor.... scary" hehehehe

      I've read a lot of ghost stories from genting(famous la), then putra-lrt(this 1 also quite the terror), then schools or particular areas........

      Like there's this chinese school in Penang, they said there's this tree that never grow tall n ppl always accident there 1...... hehehe penangites fill me in on this

      By Blogger Wilson J Q Quah, at March 15, 2006 7:47 PM  

    • Boss Lepton : hmm.. what about Putra-LRT?? How come I don't know!!! And I call myself Malaysian..

      and the thing is.. I did had monks over to my place before and the fact is.. THERE IS SOMETHING THERE at my window AND another one next to my bed.. often lookin at me sleep, according to the monk. FREAKIN SCARY! Apparently it's gone now, it's been so many years and prayers has been done. Cause' I have nightmares 9 times out of 10 times sleeping in my room. AND my room is the attic.. sounds cool, looks cool..but it's freakin scary..

      And now I couldn't sleep! I think I'm gonna with mummy tonight. heh. =) YAY!

      By Blogger chocolat-latte', at March 16, 2006 1:10 AM  

    • Really?? There's a tree that never grows tall?? I'm a Penangite but honestly, I never heard of such a story. Sounds interestin tho...

      Still, yea, Exorcism of Emily Rose... Well, I can consider it the scariest among the Western lot. But I'd say that Jap and Korean one's beat them anytime. ^^

      auds: Well, you could try exchanging rooms with your mum. One thing tho, why's your room in the attic btw?

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 16, 2006 1:20 AM  

    • lance : Exchanging rooms with my mom?? NO way. I won't allow that anyway. Can't let her walk all the way up to the 3rd floor. hahaha. My room is the attic cause' it was built specially for me. My house consist of only 4 rooms, my mom, my 2 brothers and my grandma. AND I insist on the attic. So yea. I didn't have nightmares for awhile but it SEEMS like it's coming back after soooooo many years. I guess I was just being paranoid. heh. =) I was banned from my own room for the past years though, until last year, I had my room back.

      By Blogger chocolat-latte', at March 16, 2006 7:54 AM  

    • I think if everything failed, you just have to stand up and negotiate with that thing lol. Sounds like I'm some expert in this which I'm not. In fact I've never seen 1 yet and please I'm not hoping to break that streak LOL.

      Hehehehe, the putra-lrt 1....... kinda long ler, it's this other guy's story, I could do a translation however, but I think I've gotta get his permission 1st

      hehehehe so yea, if ANY of you want me to translate those ghost stories I could do so.

      Maybe even type all those stories I've heard into WORD document and mass distribute :D sounds good eh?

      Only 1 catch, I have to type during the day, too scared to type ghost stories during the night hahahaha!!!!!!!

      By Blogger Wilson J Q Quah, at March 16, 2006 8:05 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home